Intersect is a financial technology company creating software-enabled systematized research, analytic tools, indices, and benchmark to help large asset owners and asset managers manage risk, find alpha, and achieve superior risk-adjusted returns through intelligent thematic investing. Our initial focus is climate change, a theme affecting every sector, geography, and asset class.
What you will work on
- Use libraries and tools such as Django, Flask, Bootstrap, and D3 among others.
- Work closely with, and incorporate feedback from, product management, interaction designers, and back-end engineers.
- Rapidly fix bugs, solve problems and pro-actively look for ways to make the products better.
- Play a role in the development and implementation of analytic tools that quantify the impact of climate change, environment, resources, and technological change on the financial performance of companies and securities.
- Be involved with an early stage product with a great roadmap and significant impact on the financial industry, and on redirecting capital flows into sustainable assets.
- Python developer with experience using frameworks such as Django or Flask.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- End-to-end ownership of projects.
- Stellar listening skills.
- Constantly challenge technical preconceptions.
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science (or equivalent work experience).
- Disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance.
- Understanding of CS concepts such as: common data structures and algorithms, profiling/optimization.
- Familiar working in an Agile environment.
- Startup experience.
- Github portfolio or link to open source work.
- Visual and product design skills.
- Knowledge of cross-browser quirks.
- Great written communication and documentation abilities.
- Data-informed product development: analytics, A/B testing, user testing.
- Experience with TDD (test-driven development).
- Interest in environmental sustainability.
- Experience with Amazon Redshift database.
- Experience with Amazon AWS products and services.
- We encourage candidates bringing diversity — including with regard to race, ethnicity, religion, and sexual orientation — for this position.
More background on Intersect
Our target customers in the financial services industry are large asset owners (pension funds, sovereigns, endowments) and the firms that manage their assets — asset managers, investment managers, fund managers, quantitative investment research groups, investment consultants, etc. We are building a platform that combines bottom up fundamental analysis with machine learning and artificial intelligence platform to inform investors on thematic risks across asset classes, sectors, and geographies, and ultimately to enable “climate-resilient alpha” and “climate-resilient beta” investment strategies. Our software leverages world-class data and algorithms licensed from a top-5 global management consulting firm.
The software we’re creating, rather than requiring a team with PhD data scientists and weeks of expensive consulting, can run hundreds of scenario outputs in milliseconds. We combine proprietary research with best-in-class additional data sources and systematize it. The Intersect engine uses advanced data science that’s up to standards of the best quant research analysts, but its visualizations of climate-related ramifications for sectors such as transportation, metals and mining, manufacturing, and IT are easily understandable by a CIO or investment committee. Need for our product is driven by massive growth in commitments by pension funds, endowments, and family offices to divest from carbon-intensive holdings and reinvest in climate solutions — $3.3 Trillion in new commitments last year – and by intense competition between financial services providers to capture those assets under management.
We have initial seed funding, a prototype built with Python and MongoDB, and active discussions underway with several prospective beta partners. Our team includes very active advisors with world-class data science and investment capabilities and a track record of starting and growing successful companies.
The company is based in the American Underground on Main Street in Durham, North Carolina, USA.
Candidates looking for a full-time contract position preferred.
We would consider part-time with a minimum of 20-hours a week for the right person.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com