Intersect is a financial technology company creating software-enabled systematized research, analytic tools, indices, and benchmark to help large asset owners and asset managers manage risk, find alpha, and achieve superior risk-adjusted returns through intelligent thematic investing. Our initial focus is climate change, a theme affecting every sector, geography, and asset class.
What you will work on
- Play a significant role in the development and implementation of analytic tools that quantify the impact of climate change, environment, resources, and technological change on the financial performance of companies and securities.
- Implement world class microeconomic fundamental analysis and statistical analysis in Python, and potentially build a power sector dispatch model.
- Help to define and build ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) processes for getting data into a form used for analysis.
- Build an early stage product with a great roadmap and significant impact on the financial industry, and on redirecting capital flows into sustainable assets.
- BS in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Quantitative Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Physics, or equivalent science, engineering, or mathematics degree.
- Strong computer programming skills (ideally using Python) to create advanced analytical models.
- SQL / relational database expertise.
- Experience working with large data sets, and storing and querying / joining structured and unstructured data.
- Experience working with a team to integrate models, products and services, and applications that are based around the findings and correlations of the data.
- Comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment and willingness to play a versatile role in a small team.
- Masters or PhD in the fields listed above.
- Applied experience in advanced analytics for business applications, preferably for investment processes, and in a production environment.
- Prior experience implementing code and projects in an Agile environment.
- Management consulting experience.
- Financial Services experience.
We encourage candidates bringing diversity — including with regard to race, ethnicity, religion, and sexual orientation — for this position.
More background on Intersect
Our target customers in the financial services industry are large asset owners (pension funds, sovereigns, endowments) and the firms that manage their assets — asset managers, investment managers, fund managers, quantitative investment research groups, investment consultants, etc. We are building a platform that combines bottom up fundamental analysis with machine learning and artificial intelligence platform to inform investors on thematic risks across asset classes, sectors, and geographies, and ultimately to enable “climate-resilient alpha” and “climate-resilient beta” investment strategies. Our software leverages world-class data and algorithms licensed from a top-5 global management consulting firm.
The software we’re creating, rather than requiring a team with PhD data scientists and weeks of expensive consulting, can run hundreds of scenario outputs in milliseconds. We combine proprietary research with best-in-class additional data sources and systematize it. The Intersect engine uses advanced data science that’s up to standards of the best quant research analysts, but its visualizations of climate-related ramifications for sectors such as transportation, metals and mining, manufacturing, and IT are easily understandable by a CIO or investment committee. Need for our product is driven by massive growth in commitments by pension funds, endowments, and family offices to divest from carbon-intensive holdings and reinvest in climate solutions — $3.3 Trillion in new commitments last year – and by intense competition between financial services providers to capture those assets under management.
We have initial seed funding, a prototype built with Python and MongoDB, and active discussions underway with several prospective beta partners. Our team includes very active advisors with world-class data science and investment capabilities and a track record of starting and growing successful companies.
The company is based in the American Underground on Main Street in Durham, North Carolina, USA.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com